Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Crockpot Veggie Pesto Lasagna

This is one of my favorite meals to make in the crockpot. I got this recipe out of a recipe book that my Aunt's co-workers put together.  Jesse Cool, whoever you are, thanks for the recipe!

Crock-pot Veggie Pesto Lasagna
4 cups torn spinach
2 cups diced mushrooms
1/2 cup pesto
3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded Mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded Provolone cheese
15 oz Fat-free Cottage Cheese (original recipe uses ricotta cheese, but I absolutely despise ricotta cheese)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 jar (25.5oz) tomato-basil pasta sauce
1 (8oz) can no salt added tomato sauce
 1 package (8oz) no-boil lasagna noodles 

1. Arrange spinach in a veggie steamer. Steam, covered for 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Drain, and squeeze dry.
2. Combine spinach, mushrooms and pesto in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Combine mozzarella, provolone, cottage cheese, egg and 1/4 of Parmesan cheese in a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Combine pasta sauce and tomato sauce in a medium sized bowl.
5. Coat crock-pot with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of pasta sauce mixture onto bottom of crock-pot.
6. Arrange 3 noodle over sauce. Don't worry if they overlap.
7. Top with 1 cup of cheese mixture and 1 cup of spinach/mushroom mixture. Then top with 1 cup sauce mixture.
8.  Place another 3 noodles on top of sauce. Then add 1 cup cheese mixture and 1 cup spinach mixture. 
9. Place 3 noodles on top of spinach mixture. Top with 1 cup cheese mixture and 1 cup sauce mixture. 
10. Place 3 more noodles and spread remaining sauce mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 Parmesan cheese. 
11. Cook on low for 5 hours. 

Spinach and Mushroom Mixture

Sauce Mixture
Cheese Mixture
After first layer

All finished!

Let me know if you try it and if it was good!

Thanks to Lean Lena and Fairytales and Fitness for hosting their Tasty Tuesday Link up!

That's all for now!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with us! I love lasagna and this looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting :) I'm a sucker for pasta dishes!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog from the link up and just wanted to say, wow! This is such a great idea. I would never have thought about lasagna in the crock pot but this seems so easy. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I made it I was nervous I would end up with crunchy noodles, but alas, it was delicious! Super easy, enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I love cooking meals with my crock pot! These are some great recipes and I pinned this to my Pinterest crock pot/slow cooker board. Thanks so much for sharing! Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best recipe yet. It came out perfect and definitely not mushy! It’s pinned and saved for next time.
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete