Thursday, September 26, 2013

Week 4, Day 1 and Day 2

Day 1

On Monday I ran on the treadmill at the gym. Last week we had noticed that the 30 minute runs were getting easy and we weren't feeling as if we were getting a good workout in. What we decided to do was increase our running interval time, but run at the same speed. So for this workout we ran for 3 minutes and walked for 1 minute.

Standard warm-up
30 minute run (3 min run @ 5.6, 1 min walk @ 3.5)
Standard cool-down

Total: 3.8 miles in 50 minutes

This run felt good. I liked the longer running interval. I could definitely feel the difference even though it only added 30 seconds onto the running intervals. It left me sweating at the end, which is always a good thing!

Day 2

Today I ran outside for my 30 minute run. It was a beautiful outside so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I ran the 3 to 1 interval again today. It was a pretty good run. I got to wear my Garmin watch which is still new to me so I just love running with it! My average mile time was 11:00/mile which is my goal for race pace.

Total: 3.7 miles in 50 minutes

After I ran I went to the gym and did a quick chest, back and abs workout along with stretching. It took about an hour.

Tonight for dinner I made a healthier version of chicken and rice casserole. I found it on Picky Palate blog. I didn't take pictures because it wasn't exactly beautiful looking haha. It turned out really well and I would make it again. Here's what you'll need:

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
2 cups cooked brown rice
16 oz prepared wild rice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt

Cheese sauce:
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
topping: 1 1/2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened.
3. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in chicken, rices, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low.
5. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper.
6. Slowly pour in chicken broth, whisking continuously. Whisk until thick and nearly boiling.
7. Stir in cheese until melted.
8. Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture then transfer into 9x13 pan. Top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.

That's all for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment