Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week 3, Day 3

It's hard to believe we completed week 3 yesterday! So far training is going well and we're feeling good. We've found ourselves wishing we could run on our rest days which I never thought would happen.

Only 110 days until race day!

For our long run this week we had to complete 5 miles. Overall it felt pretty good. My knees got a little bit achy and my right shin was tight for a short period of time. Once we finished my legs felt fine. I took the time to stretch and ice my knees which I think helped my recovery time. Today I have no soreness in my legs which is encouraging :)

Our run took a total of 1 hour and 2 minutes for 5 miles. I was pretty happy with that since the long runs aren't supposed to be for time, but for endurance. My endurance felt great and my breathing was really controlled.

Now it's time for a funny story. Emily brought the apartment key with her on our run. Her headphones kept malfunctioning so she was messing with the cord pretty frequently in the beginning of the run. About halfway through she realized the key was missing. We decided not to take the route we had planned, but to back track instead to see if we could find it. As we were running I got so focused on looking at the ground to try and find the key that I crossed a street without looking and nearly got hit by two oncoming cars at once. Luckily, Em saw them and yelled so I started running at that point to avoid getting hit. I felt like an idiot... In the end we never found the key. My husband was home so we weren't locked out :)

Yesterday I ran for the first time with my new toy. It's a Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS watch. Let me tell you it is AMAZING!!

It has so many cool functions to it!
  • Walk/Run feature lets you set intervals of time and it tells you when to walk and when to run
  • Waterproof
  • Notifies you of your mile time after each mile
  • Virtual pacer lets you set a goal pace and it will tell you whether you are ahead or behind that pace
  • You can flip between two screens that will show you: Pace/distance and Time/calories (these are customizable)
  • The history section keeps track of your fastest mile, fastest 5K, and longest run
  • Rechargeable so you don't have to replace the battery and you know how much battery life it has
I'm looking forward to many more runs with this little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment