Sunday, August 25, 2013

Strength Training Workout #2 and Pumpkin Protein Bars

Sore didn't even begin to describe how I felt when I woke up on Friday morning. The 4x4 workout definitely got the best of me. I had to work Friday and since I do 12-13 hour shifts I typically don't work out on days that I work. Saturday I woke up feeling like a slug! I went to breakfast at my favorite local diner and indulged in a cheat meal :)

This only worsened the sluggish feeling. Needless to say I took a nap only 3 hours after waking up! I ended up lounging around all day until we met up with some friends to get sushi.

Today I got back on track! I thought this picture matched perfectly to how I was feeling!


Today I had the unpleasant experience of working out in a gym that was 81 degrees (I am not exaggerating!) Somehow it says it was set to 69 degrees, but something wasn't working with the AC. Amazingly on this hot day it felt refreshing when I stepped out of the gym!
I did another full body (except legs) strength training workout. It went as follows:

Warm up: 1 mile on treadmill (0.5 mile walk at 3.5-3.8 mph pace and 0.5 mile jog at 5.5-5.8 mph pace) 14 min total

Assisted Pull-ups: 2 x 9- 45 lb off of my weight
Push-ups (1 set spider-man and 1 set traditional) 2 x 10

Hyperextensions: 2 x 12- 10 lb
Bench Press with dumbbells (DB): 2 x 15- 15 lb DB

Preacher Curls: 2 x 15- 10 lb DB
Skull Crushers: 2 x 15- 25 lb ez bar

Hammer Curls: 2 x 15- 12 lb DB
Body weight dips with feet stacked: 2 x 14

Arnold Press: 2 x 10- 10 lb DB
Plank (done in succession with no break): 1 min middle plank, 30 sec left side plank, 30 sec right side plank, 1 min hip bridge, 30 sec left side plank, 30 sec right side plank, 1 min middle plank

Front/side raises: 2 x 10- 5 lb DB
Oblique side bends: 2 x 20- 15 lb DB

Treadmill: 20 min (walk 1 min (3.8 mph), run 3 min (5.3-5.6 mph)) 1.56 miles

Full body stretch: 15 min

On Thursday I made Jamie Eason's Pumpkin Protein Bars. They are super easy to make and really delicious! I find these can easily curb a craving for sweets as they have a bread/cake like consistency. 

Preheat oven to 350. 
Spray 9x13 dish with non-stick spray.
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl and mix well. 

1/2 cup xylitol brown sugar blend (I can never find this so I use plain xylitol which can be found at any vitamin store)
1- 4 oz jar baby food applesauce (I use organic applesauce that has no added sugar or extra ingredients)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground clove
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
1- 15 oz can raw pumpkin

Then add:
2 cups of oat flour (you can either buy this already ground or simply blend rolled oats until they become a flour like consistency.)
2 scoops vanilla whey protein
1/2 cup almond milk (skim milk can also be used)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix this until well incorporated. 
Spread batter into dish and bake for 30 min. 

Finished product!

**Note: I have found that these must be refrigerated or else they will mold very quickly because of the lack of preservatives. 

This week I will be trying some new recipes for dinner. If they're good I will be sure to post them here. 

That's all for now! Hope everyone had a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment