Tuesday, January 7, 2014

WDW Half Taper

Well, now that my taper is almost over I thought I'd let you know what I focused on during this period of time. From Monday December 30-January 11 is my taper. I tried to just focus on a short list of objectives as to not overwhelm myself.

1. Decrease my mileage: I wanted my legs to rest and recover as much as possible before the race. My last training run was Wednesday January 8. It was really surreal that race day is just 3 days away! 

2. Hydrate: Normally when I work I am lucky if I drink 24 oz of water in a 12 hour shift. The 4 days I worked while tapering I tried to drink at least 48 oz of water per shift. It was a lot easier to drink water at home and keep track of my intake. 

3. Get quality sleep: I have gotten at least 7 hours of sleep each night of my taper until last night in which I only got 6 hours. I'm hoping I will sleep well tonight because I'm pretty sure Friday night I won't sleep well (2:45 am alarm will sound way too soon). 

4. Diet: For this portion I simply focused on not eating junk food/sweets. I don't struggle as much with wanting junk food because I just don't buy it at the store so therefore it's not available to eat. Sweets is another story...I love dessert! I keep telling myself to just hold off on eating them now an soon enough I can eat the delicious cupcakes at Disney World. I also tried to increase the number of fruits/veggies I ate. 

http://blog.run.com/blog/runspiration/inspiration-for-your-marathon-taper/


I'm at the airport now and can't wait to arrive and go to the expo! 

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment