Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 13

I got past my rough patch of training runs and am happy to report that 2/3 of this week’s runs felt great!

Day 1- Nov 26

It was unbearably cold this day so Em and I headed to the gym to run on the treadmill. This run was going ok at first and then my stomach started cramping really badly. Then I started having indigestion. I pushed through it as much as I could. I’m pretty sure what I ate that morning wasn’t sitting well with me. I’ve been trying to keep track of what I’ve been eating before running and how I felt when I ate certain foods. My go to breakfast now is a piece of toast with peanut butter and a banana. It’s bland and has a good mix of carbs and protein.

Total: 3.67 in 50 minutes

Day 2- Nov 29

I had to work the day before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Day so after work I made the drive home to spend time with my family for the weekend. I was so excited to get up and run on Friday in my hometown! It was so cold out, but I was prepped with all of my cold weather gear. I did an extended warm up since it was so cold. Once I got into a groove I felt great! I kept a very consistent pace. I ran 4:1 run-walk intervals and did a 10:00/mile pace. The short runs go by so quickly now after starting to do the long distance runs.

30 minutes: 3.11 miles
Total: 5.02 in 54 minutes

Day 3- Dec 1

Yesterday I met Em in her hometown to do our long run for the week. I was quite nervous about it because the last 11 mile long run we had done was awful and I really didn’t want to have another discouraging run like that one. I made myself focus on this run and this run alone, pushing the other run out of my mind. I never thought that I would say, “I ran 11.5 miles and it felt great!” Well, now I can officially say that :)

It’s daunting to look down at your watch and see 1.00 miles. I automatically go to the thought “Oh my goodness, I have 10.5 miles left to run!” Running is such a mental thing. As soon as my thoughts went to this I pushed it out of my mind and told myself to take it one mile at a time and just enjoy the run. Our planned bathroom break came a little early at mile 3.5, but once we went at that time we didn’t have to go the rest of the run.

We took a GU at about mile 5-5.5. I think last time we waited too long to take our first fuel, so we took it a little earlier this time. We then took another GU at around mile 8.5-9. The GU gel and GU chomps were much easier on my stomach than the Clif Shot blocks were 2 weeks ago. So those are what I’m going to stick with for the rest of training and race day. 

I asked Em how she was feeling around mile 8-9 and she said, "Good other than my legs feeling a little jumbly." I could not stop laughing! I have no idea what jumbly means and she then went on to say they felt like jello. Nothing like trying to run while you're laughing.

We realized when we finished that our total with warm-up and cool down was longer than a half marathon! Needless to say we are feeling pretty good about the race after this run and how well it went. We were happy with our time for 11.5 miles, because we know we will most likely run at a slightly faster pace because of adrenalin during the race.

We stretched really well and foam rolled when we were finished. I was really scared to get out of bed this morning because I thought for sure I would be sore. Amazingly, I am only slightly sore in a few localized areas!!
  
11.5 miles: 2 hours 15 minutes
Total: 13.3 in 2 hours 49 minutes







That’s all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment