Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Seared Scallops and Mashed Cauliflower

Tonight for dinner I made seared scallops and mashed cauliflower. We love seafood and treat ourselves to scallops every once and a while. They are a great source of protein with almost no fat. Scallops are also very quick and easy to prepare.

Cauliflower on the other hand I'm normally not a huge fan of. I definitely don't like it raw and just always thought of it as bland when it was steamed. I had done some recipe research to find a recipe that might appease my taste buds and it was a success. I have actually never made mashed potatoes (crazy, I know) so I thought mashed cauliflower might be an easier and healthier alternative.

At the store I had asked for 2 dozen scallops, because I know that we can eat quite a few scallops. When I got home I was quite disappointed to find only 1 dozen scallops in the package. I also ate them too quickly to take a picture of them haha

Seared scallops (I used this recipe)
Sea Scallops
2 tsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
salt
pepper

1. Season both sides or scallops with salt and pepper.
2. Heat butter and olive oil in saute pan on high heat until it is melted.
3. Add scallops to pan and sear for 1 1/2- 2 minutes on each side. They should be translucent in the center when cooked.
4. Enjoy!

Mashed Cauliflower (I modified this recipe)
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp water
2 Tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Fill large pot with water and bring to boil.
2. Add cauliflower and continue to boil for 10 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain cauliflower.
4. In food processor or by hand blend all ingredients until mashed potato consistency.
5. Enjoy!

I have a small food processor so I added batches of cauliflower and blended them. Then placed it into a separate bowl and added all of the flavorful ingredients.

Finished product. Looks just like mashed potatoes!



By the way, yesterday was 60 days until the half marathon! So nerve wrecking and exciting all at the same time :)

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment